Prayer (1): "I Can Pray to Heavenly Father"

This lesson is based on the current nursery manual, Behold Your Little Ones. Click the link to view the original lesson, "I Can Pray to Heavenly Father," on LDS.org.

For other Family Home Evening lessons, search our Family Home Evening Index



Prayer:

Song: A Child's Prayer (Children's Songbook Pg. 12) Click here to sing along.

Picture: I showed Easton the prayer pictures below from the manual. I asked him what they were doing. I pointed out how quietly the children and Jesus were sitting with their arms folded and their eyes closed. I reminded Easton that when we pray we are talking to Heavenly Father. The first thing we say is "Heavenly Father" during our prayers. I had him repeat "Heavenly Father".


Bag Activity: Before the lesson, I drew things we were thankful for onto a piece of paper (house, grandparents, mom, day, toys, food, etc). I cut the pictures out and placed them in our "Thankful For" brown paper sack. Then, I drew things we can ask Heavenly Father for onto a piece of paper (grandparents, mom, dad, be happy, be safe, etc). I cut them out and placed them in a separate paper sack - our "Ask For" paper bag. 
At this point in the lesson, I pulled out the "Thankful For" sack. Easton drew one of the pictures from the bag and we discussed the picture and why we thank Heavenly Father for it. After we thank Heavenly Father for all the things he's blessed us with, we can ask him for blessings. Easton drew a picture from the "Ask For"  paper bag. We discussed the pictures. Lastly, I showed Easton a picture of the Savior and taught him that we end our prayers saying, "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." 


Practice Prayer: Next, we said a prayer using all of the items Easton drew from the brown bags. We started with saying "Heavenly Father" and thanked him for our house, grandparents, mom, dad, toys, food, etc (all the pictures in the thankful bag) and then we asked Heavenly Father to bless grandparents, mom, dad, be happy, be safe, etc (all the pictures in the ask bag) and we closed "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Prayer Flip Book: We colored and made our Prayer Flip Book. We reviewed the order of prayer. Click the link to print the Prayer Flip Book from the nursery manual.


Testimony: I bore my testimony of prayer and shared a personal experience of how prayer has helped me in my life. 


You may also like:

Prayer (2): Prayer Train & Prayer Puppets
Prayer (3): "I Can Pray with my Family"
Prophets

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story