Halloween: Spiders

I attempted to make "spider pancakes" for breakfast this morning. Easton could tell they looked like spiders, so that's all that really matters, right? I love the whole wheat pancake mix we always have on hand. It's called Kodiak Cakes. I've seen the mix at local grocery stores, but I always buy ours at Costco. Easton loved them! See the bottom pictures to see what a squeeze bottle can do.



Spider Hats: Easton loved this hat! He wore it for a long time, including the time he jumped on his crib mattress while the spider legs bounced up and down. It's pretty self explanatory. I cut a black piece of card stock paper in half (hot dog) and stapled the ends together to make the center of the hat. (I stapled one end, measured Easton's head and then stapled the other end to make sure it was the correct size.) I cut another piece of paper into eight long strips and folded them accordion style. Then, Easton helped me glue on the legs and goggly eyes. Click here for a tutorial of the first cute picture below.



Easton's Hat



Spider Web Art Project: I found a similar idea HERE (see first picture below). I used white card stock paper and drew a spider web with a white crayon - I wish I would have made the spider web lines closer together. I know a lot of people used liquid water color for this project, but it's one of those things on my list of things to buy. We had blue Koolaid on hand, so I mixed a small amount in water and used it as our "water color". Easton dipped his brush in the Koolaid mixture and painted the white paper. He was so excited to see a "surprise spider web" as he painted. While the spider web dried, we made a handprint spider. I painted his hands (minus his thumbs) black and he stamped them on a piece of paper to make a spider. I cut out his handprint spider and glued it on his blue spider web.

    
    I like the dark colors of this web and how close together the web is!

Easton's Handprint Spider & Web


     









Spider Web Cupcakes: I made a box of Halloween themed "funfetti" cupcakes (from the grocery store) today and frosted them with a white almond frosting. My sister in law showed me a really neat web design she did on top of her cupcake frosting, so I decided to give it a try. I made a batch of blue frosting and place it in a small piping bag. I piped the blue frosting in a swirl on top of each cupcake. Then, I used a toothpick to make the web. I started with the toothpick in the middle of the cupcake and slid the toothpick toward the edge of the cupcake to make the lines in the web. To add a spooky touch, I placed a plastic spider on top of each cupcake. Excuse the flower plate for Halloween. Click HERE to see a similar tutorial online.

 






Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story