This lesson is based on the current Sunbeam Manual lesson, "I Can Obey."
"I Can Obey" Slideshow: As you go through the slide show, discuss the pictures with your child. Ask questions and discuss the slides as shown below.
- Slide 1 (Parents & Newborn): "Point to the baby in the picture and talk about how each of us came to earth as a baby. Remind the children that because babies are so small and helpless, they need someone older and bigger to take care of them. Who took care of you when you were a baby? Who takes care of you now? Explain to the children that the people who take care of them, such as their parents and other family members, love them and want them to be safe and happy."
- Slide 2 (dangerous items): "Talk about things the children might do that could hurt them or make them unhappy, such as playing in the street, touching a hot stove, picking up a sharp knife, or fighting with the brothers and sisters. Why don't your parents want you to do these things? Talk about the things the children can safely and happily do. Explain that our parents love us and want us to be safe and happy."
- Slide 3 (Sermon on the Mount): Who is in this picture? "Explain that when Jesus was on the earth, he taught the people what Heavenly Father wanted them to do. These teachings are called commandments. The commandments are written in the scriptures. Read John 14:15 (If ye love me, keep my commandments) and explain that Jesus said these words. Explain that keep means obey. Have the children repeat the scripture with you a few times." Now, let's talk about some commandments we can obey...
- Slide 4 (sacrament): What's happening in this picture? Going to church and taking the sacrament are ways we can follow the commandments.
- Slide 5 (children giving mother flowers): Be kind to others.
- Slide 6 (morning prayer): Pray.
- Slide 7 (Shadrach, Meshach & Abed-nego): Briefly relate the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, as found in Daniel 3. Explain that one of Heavenly Father's commandments is that we pray only to him. We do not pray to other people or to images, which are likes statues. Explain that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego knew Heavenly Father's commandments and wanted to obey them. Heavenly Father protected these men from the fire because they obeyed him. The fire did not burn them.
Short Movie (Shadrach, Meshach & Abed-nego): Watch this 2 minute clip about Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego. Emphasize how the men were kept safe for keeping the commandments. We ate popcorn as we watched the show together.
For other lesson ideas, please visit:
Family Home Evening Index
Family Home Evening Index