I Will Say I'm Sorry

This lesson has ideas from the current nursery manual, Behold Your Little Ones. Click the link to view the original lesson, I Will Say: "I'm Sorry" from LDS.org.

For other Family Home Evening lessons, search our Family Home Evening Index


Prayer:

Song: "I'm Trying to be like Jesus" Children's Songbook pg. 78-79. Click here to sing along. Instead of singing with an audio, we sang with a Youtube Video of "I'm Trying to be like Jesus." Afterward, we reviewed the words below:

Love one another as JEsus loves you (hug self and turn from side to side)
Try to show kindness in all that you do (nod head up and down)
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought (hug self and turn from side to side)
For these are the things Jesus taught (nod head up and down)

Introduction: I showed Easton a picture of Jesus (pictured below) and explained the following from the manual: "Tell the children that Jesus taught us how to be happy. Explain that saying kind words can make us happy and it can make others happy; when we make a mistake or do something that isn’t nice, we need to use these kind words: “I’m sorry.” Invite the children to say, “I’m sorry.”"


Faces Activity: I printed a happy face and sad face to use for the stories listed below. I printed the faces on card stock, cut them out and taped them onto large craft sticks. When someone was being unkind in the story, I had Easton hold up the frowny face. When someone said "I'm Sorry" I had Easton hold up the happy face. When we say sorry it makes us and others happy.
Story #1 (Nephi and the Ship): "This is Nephi (point to Nephi). Can you tell what he's building? That's right..a boat. Nephi's older brothers, Laman and Lemuel, didnt' believe Nephi could build a boat. They said unkind things to Nephi and wouldn't help him build the ship. This made Nephi sad (hold up sad face). Later, Nephi's brothers said they were sorry to Nephi and Heavenly Father. This made everyone happy and Nephi's brother helped him build the ship (hold up happy face)." I used the picture of Nephi building a ship below from the manual.


Story #2 (Alma the Younger):  "This is a picture of Alma the Younger. There was a time that he made some sad choices and said unkind words to members of the church. This made the members of the church sad (hold up sad face). An angel appeared to Alma and told him to be nice and repent. Alma told Heavenly Father and members of the church that he was sorry. This made Alma, Heavenly Father  and members of the church happy. (hold up happy face)." The picture below is from my Gospel Art Book I bought a few years ago. If you don't have a Gospel Art Book, you can print the picture by clicking the link.


Story #3 (Jonah and the Whale): "This is a picture of Jonah. Heavenly Father asked Jonah to tell the people of Nineva to be repent. Jonah was afraid and didn't listen. This made Heavenly Father sad (hold up sad face). Can you tell what's in the water? That's right..a whale. Jonah was swallowed by a whale. While he was in the whale, he repented and told Heavenly Father he was sorry for not listening. This made Heavenly Father happy (hold up happy face). The whale spit him out and Jonah told the people of Nineva to repent." The picture below is from my Gospel Art Book I bought a few years ago. If you don't have a Gospel Art Book, you can print the picture by clicking the link.


"I Can be Happy When I Say I'm Sorry" Necklaces: Easton colored the boy (see below) and I used a hole punch and string to make it into a necklace. I reminded Easton that he can be happy and make others happy when he says "I'm Sorry".  Click here to print the necklaces.

Testimony:


You may also like:

Creation (1): "Jesus Christ Created the World for me"
Book of Mormon (1): "The Book of Mormon Teaches me about Jesus"
Book of Mormon (2): The Story of The Book of Mormon

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story