- 1 (2 lb) head of cauliflower, cored and diced into florets
- 4 - 6 cloves garlic, skins left on
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 oz Neufchatel cheese, softened (aka low fat cream cheese)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping if desired
- Optional: Fresh Parsley
- 14 oz. fettuccine or linguine noodles
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Place cauliflower and garlic on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, then toss to evenly coat and spread into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven 25 - 30 minutes until golden.
3) Meanwhile, boil pasta according to directions listed on package and reserve and set aside 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining pasta.
4) Remove skins from roasted garlic then add to a blender along with roasted cauliflower and milk. Process mixture until well pureed (leave a small opening on lid to allow hot air to escape).
5) Brown butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then carefully add pureed cauliflower mixture to browned butter in saucepan and stir to combined. Reduce heat slightly, add in Neufchatel cheese, Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat mixture until warmed through, adding in reserved pasta water 1 Tbsp at a time to thin sauce to desired consistency.
6) Return pasta to pot (without water) and toss with sauce (again adding in additional water to thin as desired). Serve warm, garnished with additional Parmesan and fresh parsley if desired.