Colored Noodles Tutorial


Coloring noodles is so simple and doesn't take a lot of time! We used these noodles as a base for our Letter N Sensory Bin and my boys (ages three & twenty months) really enjoyed playing with them. I found this idea on Happy Hooligans. Click the link to view other Letter N Activities.

Supplies:
  • Uncooked Noodles (I bought four bags of shell noodles, one bag for each color)
  • Gel Food Coloring (I used Wilton Gel Food Coloring for the vibrant colors)
  • Vinegar
  • Zip Lock Bags (I used four - One for each color)

Directions:

1) Fill a bowl with one teaspoon of vinegar and a generous dollop of food coloring. Mix well.



2) Place one bag of noodles into a zip lock bag and pour the vinegar/food coloring on top of the noodles. Zip the bag closed and shake and massage the noodles until they are all colored.


3) Open the bag and set it on the counter to dry overnight.


3) Repeat the process for the remaining colors. When you're ready to play, pour the noodles into a plastic bin. Aren't these colors gorgeous? Store the noodles in an airtight container for future play. 



Pictures & Ideas:
  • As I mentioned above, we used the noodles as a base for our Letter N Sensory Bin. I added play birds, pom poms (eggs), Letter N Cards and large tweezers. My idea was to watch my boys' creativity as they made Nests (another Letter N word).  



  • My three remembered our pom pom baby birds, so we threw them into the mix as well. My boys loved opening and closing the egg carton nest. The small pipe cleaners are "worms" shaped in the Letter N.  

  • Of course, my boys wanted shovels to pour the noodles into bowls. My three had fun pretending the noodles were food for the birds. Note: We have a small area in our house with a wooden floor that we played in. I prepped my kids beforehand that the only rule was that the noodles had to stay in the wooden floored area. Yes, this became a messy sensory activity, but it was worth the fun and easy to sweep up after playing! We often play in the tub to contain a good mess.
  • Click here to view other Letter N Activities.

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story