Obedience (2): "I Will Obey"

This lesson contains ideas from the current nursery manual, Behold Your Little Ones. Click the link to view the original lesson, "I Will Obey" from LDS.org.

For other Family Home Evening lessons, search our Family Home Evening Index


Prayer:

Song: "Quickly I'll Obey." (Primary Children's Songbook Pg. 197) Click here to sing along. We did the actions while we sang from the manual:

When my mother calls me (cup hands around mouth)
Quickly I'll obey (run quietly in place)
I want to do just what is best (nod head up and down)
Each and every day.

When my father calls me (cup hands around mouth)
Quickly I'll obey (run quietly in place)
I want to do just what is best (nod head up and down)
Each and every day.

Heavenly Father loves me (hug self)
Blesses me each day (continue hugging self as you turn from side to side)
I want to do just what is best (nod head up and down)
Each and every day.

Obeying Puppet: We started our lesson by reviewing the definition of the word "obey". We reminded Easton of why it's important to obey (from our FHE last week). We colored our puppet, cut him out and glued him onto a paper sack (see picture below). We named him "Obedient Oscar" and told Easton he does everything Heavenly Father and his parents ask him to do. We would ask, "Oscar, will you help me clean up the toys?" We would nod Oscars head and say, "I will obey!" We asked a bunch of questions always with Oscar repeating "I will obey." I realized during this FHE how important it is to repeat important phrases over and over. Easton really caught on. Click here to print the puppet.



Story #1: Noah and the Ark. I printed Noah and the Ark clipart from The Golden Seven. I summarized the story using the pictures and asked Obedient Oscar, "Will you obey Noah and get on the boat?" And I made Oscar nod his head and say, "I will obey." Easton thought it was so funny how I'd make the puppet talk.



Story #2: Jonah and the Whale. I printed Jonah and the Whale clipart from the Golden Seven Blog. I summarized the story using the pictures and asked Obedient Oscar, "Will you obey Heavenly Father when he asks you to do something that's hard?" I would nod Oscar's head and say, "I will obey."



Bag Activity: Next, I held up a picture of my husband and me. I prepared a paper bag with simple, drawn pictures of different ways Easton could obey at home. I drew a picture of a car (hold hand in street), candle (don't touch fire), heart (be kind to everyone), baby (share toys), prayer (makes Heavenly Father happy), knife (don't touch sharp objects) and his crib (sleep is important). When Easton drew the car picture from the bag and I would ask Obedient Oscar, "Will you always hold mom and dad's hand in the street?" I would nod Oscar's head and say, "I will Obey." Then I would ask Easton the same question and have Easton repeat, "I will obey." We had a similar conversation for all the items in the bag.


Testimony:


You may also like:

Love (4): "Jesus Christ Showed us how to Love Others
Love at Home (1): "I Love my Family"
My Family Can be Together Forever
Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story