Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story

This lesson contains ideas from the current nursery manual, Behold Your Little Ones. Click the link to view the original lesson, "I Will Obey" from LDS.org.


Prayer:

Scripture: Ephesians 6:1 "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right." I explained what 'obey' means and told Easton how happy it makes Heavenly Father when he listens to mom and dad.

Song: "Quickly I'll Obey." (Primary Children's Songbook P. 197) We did the actions from the manual as we sang the song:

When my mother calls me (cup hands around mouth)
Quickly I'll obey (run quietly in place)
I want to do just what is best (nod head up and down)
Each and every day.

When my father calls me (cup hands around mouth)
Quickly I'll obey (run quietly in place)
I want to do just what is best (nod head up and down)
Each and every day.

Heavenly Father loves me (hug self)
Blesses me each day (continue hugging self as you turn from side to side)
I want to do just what is best (nod head up and down)
Each and every day.

Picture: We showed my two the picture below from the nursery manual and asked him what the family was doing. We explained that the mom and dad asked their children to help them in the garden and the children said, "I will Obey." It makes mom and dad so happy when their children obey. You can get this photo in the current nursery manual from Deseret Book, or show or print the picture online.


Object Lesson: This idea is from the manual. It is a great visual to teach WHY it's important to obey. I used a laundry basket and put a shoe, umbrella, coat, gloves, hat, and helmet inside and explained how each item helps protect us: "Ask a child to choose one of the items out of the box and try it on. Talk to the children about what kind of protection that item gives (for example, shoes keep our feet from getting dirty or hurt; umbrellas keep us from getting wet from the rain or hot from the sun; and so on). Explain that these things keep us safe; we can also be safe and happy when we obey our parents."



"The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story": My two LOVED this story with the popsicle stick ghosts! It's a story about a momma ghost and her five little, white ghosts. The mom ghost has to run to the grocery store and warns here little ghosts not to eat anything unless it's white. Of course, all five ghosts don't listen and they turn the color of the thing they ate! (One ghost ate spinach and turned green). This story relates well to obedience and fits in perfectly with Halloween this week! Although, my two would like it anytime of year. Click the link to print the ghosts and The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story. UPDATE: If you want larger ghosts, check out this version.


Testimony: I always review the most important thing taught in our lesson and then bear testimony of it. Today, I said something along the lines of "It makes mom, dad, and Heavenly Father so happy when you listen and obey. I know that when you obey, you will be safe and happy."


For other lesson ideas, please visit:

Obedience (2): "I Will Obey"
Plan of Salvation: "Heavenly Father has a Plan for me"
Prayer (2): Prayer Train & Prayer Puppets

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism