Morning Meeting - Read/summarize John 1:1-4 and talk about the pre-mortal life and how Jesus created the earth for us. Go through "The Pre-mortal Life" story with pictures or cut outs (the cut out version is pictured below). You can go into as much or as little detail you'd like depending on the age of your child(ren).
Family Home Evening:
1) Review the pre-mortal life from our morning meeting with Dad. Ask the kids questions about what they learned and have them answer to "teach" dad.
2) The Creation Story. My mom gave me a copy of this short and sweet creation story.
3) Make Earth Cupcakes OR Puffy Paint Earths.
- Earth Cupcakes: Make a store bought cake mix (we always substitute buttermilk in place of the water to make them more moist). Dye half the mix blue, the other half green. Pour the blue mix into one zip lock bag and the green mix into another zip lock bag and cut a small hole in the bottom corner. Fill the muffin tins 3/4 the way full alternating colors. Bake. Cool. Frost. We actually made these earlier in the day and frosted/ate them after The Creation Story.
- Puffy Paint Earth: If you haven't made puffy paint with your kids yet, you need to try it. My boys LOVE it, it's easy to make, it requires limited clean up, and I bet you already have everything you need to make it. All you do is add: 1 cup flour + 1 cup water + 1/4 cup baking soda + 1 teaspoon salt + food coloring into a bowl WITH A SPOUT and whisk until smooth (per color). We made green and blue. Pour the paint into a squeeze bottle. Squeeze the paint onto paper plates to make an earth. Once your "earth" is complete, place the plate in the microwave for about 1 minute - a little less or more depending on the thickness of the paint. Don't over microwave, it will start to burn the paint and make the "earth" look brown and crispy.
|"Pretend you have bug eyes." This made me laugh.|
|BEFORE picture. Ready for the microwave..|
|AFTER picture. Nice and dry. No mess. I cut the edge off the paper plate.|
|My five's finished earth. I like to hang these up on the fridge during the week to remember our lesson.|
|My three's finished earth.|
|They love to play with the dried puffy paint. It has a really neat, bouncy texture and "smells like pancakes".|
|Two earths became thirteen earths. I told you my boys love puffy paint. They were occupied for a lot of time today!|