Morning Meeting (Matthew 21:12-13 "Jesus Cleanses the Temple"). Read the verses together while showing the picture. Add any additional information you'd like. I had to research this story a little bit to understand it better. Basically, people from all over came to Jerusalem for the Passover. They needed a lamb/goat to sacrifice and a lot of people would plan to buy them in Jerusalem, because of the long journey. The "thieves" as Jesus calls them knew this and exchanged money in the temple for an unfair rate and sold the lambs and goats for much more than what was fair. It was dishonest. The temple is meant to be reverent and a house of prayer. Jesus made the "thieves" leave.
Family Home Evening:
1) Tell dad about our morning meeting.
2) Taking Care of Things. My boys loved this. We went through the examples (the "taken care of" picture first, followed by the "not taken care of" picture) and talked a lot about details. Would you go to the bathroom here? What do you think makes her teeth so nice and clean? How does it make you feel when... Taking care of ourselves takes time and effort.
3) Temple Pictures. We talked about how clean and taken care of the temples look. We talked about the differences in the three temples (the shape, the spires, etc). Jesus teaches us that our bodies are temples - the place our spirit dwells. Just as temples are clean, taken care of, and look different - so do our bodies. It is our job to take care of them. Here's how...
4) Mr. Potato Head Game. For this game, I placed each body part and matching card(s) in a ziplock bag (ie. teeth went in the same bag as the toothbrush card and eating healthy card). I put all the ziplock bags into a brown paper sack. My boys took turns drawing a ziplock bag. We talked about the card(s) and my boys added the body part onto Mr. Potato Head.
5) Bear Testimony and re-state principles learned during the lesson. We always have a treat as well.