Letter R: Rainbows, Rainforest (Day 5)

Salt Rainbow Painting: Easton enjoyed this activity, although it required some assistance. I learned that it's best to use black card stock instead of construction paper! Our paper was too thin and the water absorbed too much of the paper (first picture). Click here for a tutorial (second picture below).



Rainforest Habitat: I bought a Habitat Reusable Sticker Book (first picture below) a while ago, and I thought it would be fun to go through it today. We started with the Rainforest. We talked about the habitat - green, trees, vines, etc. And then I showed Easton the sticker page with all the rainforest animals. He chose which animals to stick onto their habitat. Easton put every animal on!


Rainbow/Rainforest Sensory Bin: I'd heard a lot about Water Beads, and am not sure why I never bought them until this week. They are so much fun! The beads we bought came in a two-ounce package and looked tiny. If you put them in water for 6-8 hours they expand about five times their size. They're squishy, colorful, look translucent in water, and can bounce! With sensory play, I like to bring things out one at a time - I feel like it increases curiosity and creativity. We play with the first item until he's ready for something new. Here's the order I brought out our items:

1. A bin with "rainbow" Water Beads.
2. A second bin and our play kitchen tools (measuring cups, spoons, spatula, etc.)
3. Water. I added a bunch of water to one of the bins (see upper picture).
4. Lastly, I brought out our small Rainforest Animal Figures (see lower picture).

I love watching and hearing Easton's imagination. We played for about two hours, and I was the one that needed to end sensory play to get the kids fed and down for a nap. We had so much fun today!


Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story