Letter I: Insect Collage, Insect Hunt, Insect Action Cards, Icy Insect Eggs (Day 2)

1) Insect Collage: I got this idea from the Letter I Crafts list on the Measured Mom blog. The original post uses insect stickers, but we didn't have any on hand.

  • Block Letter I (draw or print) 
  • Print insect pictures or insect stickers.
  1. Have your child identify the Letter I. Talk about the insects and their features as you glue them onto your letter I.


2) Insect Hunt: You'll need a Bug Kit and Plastic Bugs - I found ours at the Dollar Store. Hide the insects around the room and catch them with your net and place them in your bug container. Count how many insects you found.


3) Insect Action Cards from Oopsey Daisy Blog: Watching Easton act out these insect cards was my  favorite activity this week!

  • Have your child draw a card from the pile and act out the insect. "Dance like a Bee!" and "Spin like a Spider!"


4) Icy Insect Eggs: I bought an extra set on insects from the Dollar Store for this activity. Here's what you'll need:

  • Water Balloons
  • Plastic Insects 
  • Optional: Food Coloring
  • Plastic Sensory Bin, Play Tools, Warm Water, Salt
  1. Squeeze a drop or two or food coloring in a water balloon.
  2. Place an insect inside the balloon.
  3. Fill the balloon with water and tie. Put the balloon in the freezer overnight
  4. When you're ready to play with them, cut the top of the balloon off and pull the remainder of the balloon off the ice.
  5. Use tools, warm water and salt to observe the insect eggs hatch!
(picture to come)

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story