Month Six: ABISH (I Can be a Missionary)

This family home evening lesson is apart of "A Year with the Book of Mormon." Click the link to learn about our other Book of Mormon Heroes.


Prayer:

Song"I Hope They Call Me on a Mission" from the Children's Songbook. We shook egg shakers (plastic eggs filled with rice and taped close with electric tape) while we sang this song.

Hero Poster: Hold up the picture below and tell your child(ren).. Today we will learn about a new Book of Mormon hero, Abish. She is one of the few women mentioned in the Book of Mormon. Abish's father taught her to believe in Jesus Christ. In her city, not many people believed in Jesus. After Ammon came to her people and taught King Lamoni, Abish knew that Heavenly Father wanted her to share the gospel with the people. She was finally able to tell everyone about Jesus.



MissionariesI normally tell a more detailed story about our BOM hero, but there isn't much else we know about Abish. So, we read a wonderful book titled, "I Hope They call Me On a Mission," which explains exactly what missionaries do today and what we can do to be missionaries now. My three year old especially loves this book!

Missionary Experience: I thought it would be fun for my boys to hear about my and my husband's mission. I wanted a lot of visuals, so here's what I showed with them:
  • Mission Call - I showed my mission call to my boys and explained how we get a letter in the mail telling us where we'll serve and which language we'll speak. I spoke a little Russian for my boys.
  • World Map - I showed my boys where we live and where my husband and I both served. 
  • Name Tag, Foreign Money, Missionary Plaque & Planners
  • Pictures - I showed my boys a picture of me with one of my favorite families I taught on my mission. I told them briefly about their story.

Hero Card & Goals: Put together a checklist of goals for the week or month. Our goals are simple, based on our toddler needs.
  • Goal #1: Review "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission" (the song we sang at the beginning of the lesson) throughout the week or month.
  • Goal #2: Write a missionary OR have the missionaries over for dinner this month.
  • Goal #3: Like Abish, we can be missionaries and prepare to go on missions when you are 18. Review a few of the ways mentioned in the book above to be missionaries today. ie: pray, read scriptures as a family, etc. Don't bribe your child(ren) into getting a sticker. Instead, notice when they doing something great on their own and reward them for it. Once the chart is full, we'll go out for our favorite, ice cream.

Testimony:

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story