Letter L Activities (ages: 3 & 20 mo.)



Here's what our week looked like for my three and twenty month old: 

Read, Read, Read. I love reading to my kids on a daily basis. I'll usually alternate reading during a meal time, before naps or randomly in the day. I checked out our Letter L Booklist at the library a week in advance. The picture above shows our very favorite books, but you view more great Letter L books by clicking on the booklist link. 

Read Letter L Book. We also love to read these Little Letter Books from The Measured Mom. For my three, we focus on the big and little letters at the beginning of each page. My 20 month old especially loves these books! He enjoys looking at the pictures and repeating the words after me on each page. 

Letter L Songs & Rhymes. This year, I'm putting together an interactive set of songs & rhymes for each letter of the alphabet. My three and my 19 mo. old had so much fun doing the Letter L Songs & Rhymes with us this week. If you're looking for something more simple without props, take a look at this printable set of songs and rhymes from The Measured Mom.


Writing Practice. Every child is different, but my three loves writing letters! We practiced writing Letter L's with "Letters of All Sizes" from The Measured Mom. I printed and slipped ours into a sleeve protector, so my three could erase and write these over again if he wanted. While my three practiced writing Letter L's, my 20 mo. colored a Letter L with a crayon. 

Craft #1: Lion Craft from The Measured Mom. I love this lion craft. I cut out all the pieces and brought them out one at a time for my three and 20 mo. old to glue into place. I put globs of glue on their papers, so they knew where the pieces should go. Both boys glued macaroni noodles on the mane. My three wanted to do his own smile and got a little carried away with the marker while I was helping my 20 month old. My three says he made it into a "mean lion" with all the marks. 

Craft #2: Paper Plate Ladybug from My Mommy Style. This craft took us two days to complete. The first day both boys painted a paper plate red and we set it out to dry. The second day, the boys glued on the ladybug pieces and used black office stickers for the dots. They loved making these!



Craft #3: Lamb Craft from Preschool Alphabet. I loved all of our crafts this week. This craft was easy to make. We traced their hands on black construction paper, cut them out and I smeared glue over the palm of the handprint. The boys loved grabbing a handful of oatmeal and dumping it onto their handprint. We let the "lambs" dry and the next day, we glued the sun and grass into place. My three wrote his own Ll and helped me cut his grass with these toddler-safe scissors.

Color Review - Locks Color Review from The Kids Activity Blog. My three drew a key, identified the color and matched it to the lock. My 20 month old drew a key, I helped him identify the colors (he knew a few of his own!), and was able to match all of them on his own.

Math - Ladybug Shapes from Confessions of a Homeschooler. I printed these cards last year for free, but unfortunately they cost money to print now. I placed the top half of the puzzles on our table and placed the bottom half in a pile, upside down. My boys drew a bottom puzzle piece, matched it and identified the shape. I helped my 20 month old with a few of these, but he was able to identify some of the shapes on his own. I love seeing progress. 



Math - Ladybug Numbers from the Measured Mom. My three drew a card, counted the number of ladybugs and used a play dough tool to look at the correct number. We did numbers 1-12. For my 20 month old, we only went through numbers 1-3. Once he can identify those numbers and begin counting, we'll move on, but for now we'll stick to only a few numbers.


Sensory Play - Glowing Letters Sensory Play. Sensory bins are always a favorite around here! My boys helped me make the glow pasta (you can't tell from the pictures, but the pasta is actually mini letters) and loved scooping and playing with it. Going into these activities, I always have to prep myself that it's meant to by messy. That's why we contained it in the bathtub. It was a quick sweep with the broom to clean up and so much fun! Learn more by clicking the link.

Letter Ll Activity #1 - My three placed letter stickers (from the Dollar Tree) onto a piece of paper with an Ll written on it. My 20 month old did the same thing, other than there was only an L on his paper. 


Letter Kk Activity #2 - Ll is for Ladybug and L is for Lion from This Reading Mama. Both of the worksheets above are in the same printable pack. My three used a blue dot marker to fill in big and little l's, while my 20 month old used an orange dot marker to fill in some circles. 



Beginning Sounds: Beginning sounds has been one of my goals I've wanted my three to work on this year. He has really picked up on them, so we started a program for very early readers called "Reading the Alphabet" from This Reading Mama. We're slowly going through it and I've been so impressed by how the program is organized. Click the link to find out more.



Letter L Science - Homemade Lava Lamps. These were so cool and easy to make. We talked a little about oil and water, but mostly focused on the fun. Learn how to make them by clicking this link.



Alphabet as a Whole -Alphabet Learning Locks. My boys both LOVED playing with these. They played with them all week and my three requested to sleep with his favorite one at night. My three was able to match all the lowercase and uppercase letters. He loved being able to open the locks with his key and pretending they were his lunchbox. My 20 month old loved the pictures. I pointed out a few letters we've worked on and he loved being able to open the locks on his own. 


Name Review - Lego Name Building. This activity was surprisingly more of a hit than I thought it would be. I bought some model magic clay from Walmart and wrote the letters of my three's name on office stickers and stuck them on legos. He built a tower with his name in order all on his own and loved pressing the legos into the clay. For my 20 month old, I wrote letters A, B, C, K and L on office stickers for his legos. He would say the letter on the lego as he stamped them onto his clay.


And that's it!

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story