Letter U - Up: Balloon Science, Movie, Craft

Up Balloon Science: After reading "Great Day for Up" from our Letter U Booklist, we did a science experiment with baking soda and vinegar. We filled an empty water bottle half way up with vinegar and made the vinegar yellow with food coloring. Next, we used a funnel and Easton helped me dump baking soda in our balloon. I carefully placed the balloon on top of the bottle and lifted the balloon up, making the baking soda fall into the vinegar. Easton loved watching the bubbly reaction and seeing the balloon fill up! Click here for a detailed tutorial from Imagination Express Preschool.


"Up" Movie: I rented the movie "Up" from the Library and watched it together. I had Easton identify the Letter U on the movie title and we talked a lot about the balloons lifting the house into the sky (see craft below).


"Up" Craft: To go along with our movie and theme, we made an "up" craft. Easton helped me glue on the house and draw lines coming out of the chimney. We used Do-a-Dot Markers for the balloons. I was thinking ours would look like this similar idea using finger print balloons from Creativity Takes Flight (second picture below). However, Easton only wanted blue balloons. And that was okay! Next time, I may have him help me glue different pieces of the house together, while reviewing some shapes along the way (square, rectangle, triangle). 


Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story