Letter U - Underground: Craft, Sensory Play

Underground Craft: After reading our books about the underground from our Letter U Booklist, we made an awesome underground craft from proverbs thirty one women. I printed a collage of underground animals found on a google search, cut them out and Easton glued them onto our underground tunnel (Letter U). Next, we glued on grass and Easton used his toddler-friendly scissors to cut the grass.



Underground Sensory Play: Easton loves sensory bins and pretend play, so I knew an "underground themed" sensory bin would be fun for him. I was hoping to do this outside, but the weather keeps fooling me. Instead, I put the bin in our bathroom. The best part about this sensory bin were the tunnels. Easton loved dropping rocks and animals through the them. Here's what you need:

Dirt (I used two bags of potting soil from the dollars store)
Empty Paper Towel/Toilet Paper Rolls (Tunnels)
Empty Cottage Cheese Containers/Small Cardboard Box (burrows)
Underground animals - we used what we had on hand: snakes, fox, ant, rabbit, and skunk
Plastic Letter U's (also from an alphabet collection at the dollar store)

I was reminded to make this activity all FUN today. I spent a lot of time making the cute tunnels, but Easton wanted to pull them all apart. I let him explore in his own way, which is the main purpose in sensory bins. Once Easton was done playing, I put him and all the animals we'd played with (at his request) in the tub. By the end, he and all the animals were nice and clean. Click the link to find a similar sensory bin on Fantastic Fun and Learning.




Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story