Letter S: Feed the Shark, Songs, Handprint Art (Spider), Slime, Booklist

I found so many great S Activities, we spent over a week doing them. You can pick and choose which activities to do in five days, or do them all at your own pace like we did.

Feed the Shark: To review the alphabet as a whole, we played "feed the shark". I printed a shark template (scroll down to find) and glued it onto a piece of cardboard. I taped the piece of cardboard onto a plastic baby wipe container. I cut out 26 little fish from construction paper and wrote a letter of the alphabet on each one. I hid the fish around the room, Easton found one and identified the letter, and fed it to our shark. He really liked this activity! This idea is from Toddler Approved.


Letter S Songs: I found and printed our Letter S Songs from the Measured Mom blog. We sing these songs all throughout the week - in the car, before naps, and randomly throughout the day. Normally there are more options, so we have more favorites. However, this week we had only one favorite: Skip to my Lou.


Letter S Handprint Art (Spider): I found this idea on Pinterest. I painted Easton's hands with washable blue tempera paint and he stamped them to make a spider. Once the paint dried, I added eyes with a black permanent marker. As a reminder, I'm saving all of our Handprint Art and compiling them into a book. 


S is for Slime: I was so hesitant to make slime, because I thought it would be hard to make and such a mess. Really, neither were true! I found an amazing 3-ingredient Slime Recipe on Little Bins for Little Hands. We didn't make slime this week, but I wanted to post it anyways as a good resource for Letter S. We made Christmas Slime with jewels (see our slime picture below) last month. Easton didn't love the texture of the slime (maybe he'll change his mind in a few months), but I thought it was amazing. However, he still had fun watching the slime and pushing jewels and other objects into it.


Letter S Booklist: We found our Letter S Booklist on the Measured Mom blog (picture below is from her blog). Some of the books weren't at our local library, but from the ones I could find our favorites were: The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear; Go! Go! Go! Stop!; Wake Up, Sun!; The Sneetches; Ten Seeds; and How to Catch a Star. If your little one enjoys the story of the Three Little Pigs, add "The Three Little Fish and The Big Bad Shark" by Ken Geist to your booklist (pictured below). Also, add Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Best Bug Parade, The Enormous Potato, and The Three Billy Goats Gruff if you're interested in the Size Ordering activity.
 


Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story