Letter B: Booklist


I love being able to put a set of books on hold online and have them available for pick up in a few days. When I went to pick up these books, I called beforehand and the librarian agreed to meet me at the door. I would hand her my card and she would come back with my pile of books. This saved me from taking both boys (ages 2 & 1) out of their car seats, being anxious trying to watch them while I scanned my books, and not having a spare hand to hold my books. Thank you, librarian!

The Bear Who Shared by Catherine Rayner: This book is about a bear who is waiting patiently for a special fruit to fall from a tree. However, a mouse and raccoon are waiting as well. When the fruit finally drops, the bear catches it and shares with his new friends. This book teaches sharing.


Goldilocks and the Three Bears by Caralyn & Mark Buehner: We love the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This version has a few little twists and we love the darling illustrations. Click the link to view other activities to go along with this story.


The Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson: This was one of my favorite books. It's a story of a bear hibernating in a den and one by one other animals come in to warm up, eat snacks and party all while the bear is asleep. Read this book to see what happens when the bear wakes up. Point out when the animals share their snacks (sharing) and how the animals cheer up someone when they're sad (including others).


The Pigeon Needs a Bath by Mo Willems: My almost three loved and quoted this book all week! He used the cutest little voice quoting this book, it was hilarious. "Can I stay in the tub forever!?" I loved the moral of the story - sometimes there are things in life we think we won't like, but when we try them, they turn out to be really fun! 


Bugs! Bugs! Bugs! by Bob Barner: This is a cute rhyming book that teaches about a variety of bugs (great vocabulary builder). At the end there is a chart with their actual size.


Brontorina by James Howe: This is a book about a dinosaur that dreams of being a ballerina. The dinosaur shows up for ballet lessons, but is way too big for the studio. Read this book to see what the teacher does to fix the problem. Cute book.


That's good! That's bad! by Margery Cuyler: This book is entertaining. It's about a boy who is given a balloon and drifts into the jungle. See what jungle animals he runs into and how he returns home. 

Berlioz the Bear by Jan Brett: This book is about a bear who is running late to play in a concert. His wagon gets stuck in a hole and many animals try to help him out. Read this book to see which animal is clever enough to get the wagon out. The illustrations in this book are beautiful.



Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown: My children (almost three and one) have always enjoyed reading books about farm animals. This book teaches which animals live on the farm and their names.


Big Birds by Lucille Recht Penner: I have to include this book, because my almost three loved it. I think he loved it so much because he loves to be "big" and at the end it compares large birds to dinosaurs (another favorite). The book is great and very educational, and was requested to read a lot at our house this week. 

About Birds by Cathryn Sill: This book is a quick read. It's educational and I loved the simple, real life pictures of birds. 

A White Butterfly by Barbara Ortelli: This book is a quick read and a great review of colors.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen: My boys (almost three and one) both love this book. It's about a family that goes on a bear hunt. This book has a lot of repetition, which is good for toddlers: "We're going on a bear hunt, we're going to catch a big one. What a beautiful day. We're not scared." Read to find out what happens when they find a bear.

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story