Letter K Activities (ages: 3, 19 mo.)


Here's what our week looked like for a three and 19 month old: 

Read, Read, Read. I love reading to my kids on a daily basis. I'll usually alternate reading during a meal time, before naps or randomly in the day. I checked out our Letter K Booklist at the library a week in advance. The picture above were our very favorite books, but you view more great Letter K books by clicking on the booklist link. 

Read Letter K Book. We also love to read these Little Letter Books from The Measured Mom. For my three, we focus on the big and little letters at the beginning of each page. My 19 month old especially loves these books! He enjoys looking at the pictures and repeating the words after me on each page. 

Letter K Songs & Rhymes. This year, I'm putting together an interactive set of songs & rhymes for each letter of the alphabet. My three and my 19 mo. old had so much fun doing the Letter K Songs & Rhymes with us this week. If you're looking for something more simple without props, take a look at this printable set of songs and rhymes from The Measured Mom.


Writing Practice. Every child is different, but my three loves writing letters! We practiced writing the Letter K's with "Letters of All Sizes" from The Measured Mom. I printed and slipped ours into a sleeve protector, so my three could erase and write these over again if he wanted. While my three practiced writing Letter K's, my 19 mo. old stamped Letter K's with a dot marker.

Craft #1: Kangaroo Pouch Aprons. After reading "Katy No-Pocket" from our Letter K Booklist, both boys used shape sponges and washable tempera paint to decorate aprons. The book is about a mother kangaroo without a pouch and she has no way to carry her baby. Luckily, the kangaroo finds an apron with a lot of pockets to carry her little one and many more animals! We used these aprons later in the week for a baby kangaroo hunt - see below. I found these aprons at the dollar tree.

Craft #2: Kite Sun Catcher from The Measured Mom. I found contact paper and pre-cut tissue paper squares at the Dollar Tree. I love how these turned out. You can view a tutorial by clicking the link above.



Craft #3: Kool-Aid Finger Paint from Fun at Home with Kids. We had the best time playing with Kool-Aid finger paint! All you do is mix one cup of plain yogurt and half a kool-aid packet together in a bowl. Both boys painted a K is for Koala page in the tub (picture on the left) and then painted paper on the tub wall afterward (pictured on the right). I love a good contained mess. Super fun. 

Color Review - Kite Color & Size File Folder from The Measured Mom. I love this file folder! My three drew a kite, identified the color and matched it to the correct kite (above picture). Afterward, he placed the kites in order from smallest to largest (below picture). My 19 month old drew a kite and was able to color match all the kites, even though he doesn't know all of their colors yet. I tried to have him repeat the color names after me. We compared kites big and small.

Math - Shape Sponges. We used these shape stamps (the ones pictured above are discontinued, so the link is to a different set on Amazon) to decorate our Kangaroo Pouch Aprons above. I tried to talk about shapes, but the boys were honestly having too much fun stamping them in paint! We saved talking about shapes for later. 


Math - Kite Count & Clip Cards from the Measured Mom. I forgot to take a picture of this activity! My three drew a card, counted the number of kites and placed a clothespin on the correct number. We did numbers 1-10. My 19 month old saw his older brother do these and wanted so badly to do them as well, so I helped him count kites 1-3.


Sensory Play - Decorating Cakes (Kitchen Theme). We used Kool-Aid Playdough (this is the easiest playdough to make - it cooks in the microwave and is so soft!) and Playdough Cake Mats to decorate cakes. In the muffin tin are buttons, googly eyes, beads, popsicle sticks, cut straws, toothpicks, and cut pipe cleaners. After decorating their cakes, the boys decided to make "cupcakes" in the muffin container. I loved watching their creativity. This activity lasted over an hour. 

Letter Kk Activity #1 - I drew letter K's on office stickers and stuck them on these baby kangaroos (pictured on the left). I hid them around the room and my three found the kangaroos, identified the letters, and put them in his apron pouch. My 19 mo. old wasn't having the apron, but enjoyed finding the kangaroos and repeating the letter K. 



Letter Kk Activity #2 - Kk is for King and K is for Kangaroo from This Reading Mama. Both of the worksheets above are in the same printable pack. I placed these worksheets on a magnetic cookie sheet. My three used power magnets to cover the Letter Kk's on the king and my 19 month old used power magnets to cover the circles on the K and kangaroo. We'll most likely continue to do these type of worksheets each week, but use office stickers or dot markers to fill in the circles.



Beginning Sounds: Beginning sounds has been one of my goals I've wanted my three to work on this year. He has really picked up on them, so we started a program for very early readers called "Reading the Alphabet" from This Reading Mama. We're slowly going through it and I've been so impressed by how the program is organized. Click the link to find out more.



Letter K Science - Kitchen Slime. We tried making three different slimes this week and this recipe - from little bins for little hands - is by far the best! This slime only has three ingredients and is MESS-FREE as it sticks only to itself. My boys loved seeing how far the slime could stretch, cutting shapes out of the slime (with the rim of a cup) and making slime bubbles. You have got to try this! Click the link to see how slime is science.



Alphabet as a Whole - Catch the Alphabet. I filled up our tub and put a few drops of blue food coloring into the water. My boys used their nets (from the Dollar Tree) to catch our bath letters. Once they caught a letter, I tried my best to tag team with two kids and identify some letters. Both boys really enjoyed this activity. 


Name Review - Kitchen Spices Name Review. I drew my three's name with elmer's glue on a piece of paper and drew a Letter K with elmer's glue on a piece of paper for my 19 mo. old. Both boys LOVED shaking old spices onto their papers. Once the spice containers were empty, we shook the excess spices off their papers into the trash.


And that's it!

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story