Letter O Activities (ages 3 & 21 months)

Here are our Letter O Activities for a three year old and a 21 month old: 


Read, Read, Read. I love reading to my kids on a daily basis. I'll usually alternate reading during a meal time, before naps or randomly in the day. I checked out our Letter O Booklist at the library a week in advance. The picture above were our very favorite books, but you view more great Letter O books by clicking on the booklist link. 

Read Letter O Book. We also love to read these Little Letter Books from The Measured Mom. For my three, we focus on the big and little letters at the beginning of each page. My 21 month old especially loves these books! He enjoys looking at the pictures and repeating the words after me on each page. 

Letter O Songs & Rhymes. This year, I'm putting together an interactive set of songs & rhymes for each letter of the alphabet. My three and my 21 month old love ACTION songs the best, so we are doing mostly those (without a lot of props) now. Click the link to view our Letter O Songs & Rhymes. If you're looking for something more simple, take a look at this printable set of songs and rhymes from The Measured Mom.

Writing Practice. Every child is different, but my three loves writing letters! We practiced writing the Letter O's with "Letters of All Sizes" from The Measured Mom. I printed and slipped ours into a sleeve protector, so my three could erase and write these over again if he wanted. My 21 month old used a dot marker to dot O's on a piece of paper. "Can you dot this O?" 


Craft #1: Handprint Owls from Meet the Dubiens. I thought these turned out so cute and my boys really enjoyed making them. First, my boys dipped a celery stick in blue paint and stamped it onto our owl bodies to make feathers. Next, they glued on the owl eyes, beak and feet. Then, I painted their hands and they stamped them to make wings. 

Craft #2: Ocean Foil Painting. Both my boys loved painting an ocean and using ocean stickers to decorate their oceans. They were so proud of their finished projects. Click the link for a tutorial.



Craft #3: Octopus Fine Motor Craft from Mom's Totschool. Both my boys enjoyed coloring and gluing cheerios (as tentacles) onto their octopus. I placed the glue for them on the circles and they stuck the cheerios into place. My three finished half the octopus legs and was "done" and my 21 month old placed cheerios randomly on the octopus legs. Print this free printable from the link provided.

Color Review - Octopus Color Match from File Folder Fun. My three drew an octopus head, identified the color and matched it to the body. My 21 month old drew a color, I helped him identify the color and had him repeat the color, and he was able to match all of these on his own. Yay! Print this free printable from the link provided.


Math - Owl Shape Match from Welcome to Mommyhood. I found these owl cards last year and have been waiting to use them! My boys drew an owl and matched it to the correct tree. My three identified the shapes as he drew them and my 21 month old surprised me and could tell me a few of the shapes on his own before matching them to the correct tree. Click the link to print this free printable. Note: My black ink ran out while printing these, so I went over the shapes with a black sharpie. Hence, the crooked lines. 



Math - Octopus Roll & Cover from Mom's Totschool. I realized I didn't have two dice, so I drew 1-12 O's on slips of blue paper. My three counted the O's and covered the matching number with an office sticker (first picture above). My 21-month old use a cube with numbers 1-3. He rolled the die and put a sticker on the matching number (second picture above). He only did a few of these and was done. 


Sensory Play - Ocean Foam Sensory Play from Two-daloo. This foam took very little time to mix together and was such a fun consistency to play with! We added a bunch of our toy ocean animals and the boys played for a long time. Click the link for a tutorial and more pictures!

Letter Oo Activity #1 - Orange Dot Page & Octopus Dot Page from This Reading Mama. Both of the worksheets above are in the same printable pack. I placed these worksheets on a magnetic cookie sheet. Both boys used power magnets to fill in the circles. My three used green power magnets to fill in the little o's and blue power magnets to fill in the big O's. My 21 month old is getting the hang of placing the magnets in the circles, but only did a few before he was done today.Letter Oo Activity #2 - None. 





Beginning Sounds: Beginning sounds has been one of my goals I've wanted my three to work on this year. He has really picked up on them, so we started a program for very early readers called "Reading the Alphabet" from This Reading Mama. We're slowly going through it and I've been so impressed by how the program is organized. Click the link to find out more.


Letter O Science - Oil & Glowing Water from Growing a Jeweled Rose. This was a quick activity to put together that my three and I did together while my 21 month old napped. The glowing, colored water under a black light looked so beautiful! Click the link for a tutorial.



Alphabet as a Whole - Alphabet Obstacle Course. I placed a bucket of foam letters at the beginning of the obstacle course. My boys drew a letter (or two) and took it down the slide, through the tunnel, over the hula hoops, for a horse ride, under the table and into a basketball hoop. They loved helping the letters make it into the hoop. 


Name Review - Name Search from Mom Inspired Life. I didn't take a picture of this activity, so the one above is from the website where you can print this printable for free! I filled in all the letters and my three stamped his name with a dot marker. I printed one for my 21-month old and drew a few letter O's in the circles. He enjoyed stamping all the circles with his dot marker.


And that's it!

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story