Bubbly Numbers


Can I just tell you how much my boys LOVED this! This is definitely one of the best science activities we've done at home. I didn't know what to expect putting this together, but my boys played for a long time until we were out of big container vinegar. Try this one! Click the link to view other Letter N Activities.

Supplies:
  • Numbers Mold (I bought a more expensive mold that comes with letters as well here). If you don't want to buy a numbers mold, a regular ice cube tray would work great!
  • Baking Soda
  • Water
  • Vinegar
  • Twisty Droppers OR Pipettes
Directions:

1) Add 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup water into a bowl. Mix well. Fill a twisty dropper with the mixture and squeeze the mixture into the numbers mold. Continue filling the numbers until all the letters are filled. Note: I placed my mold on a cookie sheet, so it could easily be transferred to the freezer.


2) Place the mold in the freezer for a few hours (until numbers are frozen) or overnight. 

3) Push the numbers out of the mold. I placed the frozen numbers in a ziplock bag and back in the freezer, so I could use the mold to make more batches of numbers. I ended up with three batches (and could have easily used more!)

4) When you're ready to play, place the frozen numbers in a bin. Give you child a cup of vinegar and a twisty dropper and let him/her explore. Note: I placed numbers 0-9 in a bin for my three and numbers 1-3 in a bin for my twenty month old.




Pictures & Ideas:
  • Here's a close-up of the numbers starting to bubble.

  • My three had the idea of dropping a number inside the vinegar cup. We all loved watching what happened! We filled the cup up OVER and OVER again with vinegar for more over flowing bubbles.

  • My twenty month old dumped his cup of vinegar into his bin full of numbers.


Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story