Letter P Activities (ages 3 & 22 months)

Here are our Letter P Activities for a three year old and a 22 month old: 


Read, Read, Read. I love reading to my kids on a daily basis. I'll usually alternate reading during a meal time, before naps or randomly in the day. I checked out our Letter P Booklist at the library a week in advance. The picture above were our very favorite books, but you view more great Letter P books by clicking on the booklist link. 

Read Letter P Book. We also love to read these Little Letter Books from The Measured Mom. For my three, we focus on the big and little letters at the beginning of each page. My 22 month old especially loves these books! He enjoys looking at the pictures and repeating the words after me on each page. 

Letter P Songs & Rhymes. This year, I'm putting together an interactive set of songs & rhymes for each letter of the alphabet. My three and my 22 month old love ACTION songs the best, so we are doing mostly those (without a lot of props) now. Click the link to view our Letter P Songs & Rhymes. If you're looking for something more simple, take a look at this printable set of songs and rhymes from The Measured Mom.

Writing Practice. Every child is different, but my three loves writing letters! We practiced writing the Letter P's with "Letters of All Sizes" from The Measured Mom. I printed and slipped ours into a sleeve protector, so my three could erase and write these over again if he wanted. My 22 month old used a dot marker to dot P's on a piece of paper. "Can you dot this P?" 


Craft #1: Three Little Pig Houses from Let's Get Ready for Kindergarten. We love the story of The Three Little Pigs, so my boys were so excited about this craft! My three clearly went all out on this one. We used strips of yellow tissue paper for the straw, popsicle sticks for the sticks and red felt squares (I cut these out) for the bricks.

Craft #2: After reading 'Perfectly Percy' from our Letter P Booklist, we did this darling book related craft. I drew an oval for my 22 month old and my three drew his own oval on a piece of white card stock. They dipped a fork in brown paint and stamped it to make spikes on their porcupines. They glued on googly eyes, a helmet and a yellow balloon. My three drew his own arms, balloon string and letter P.



Craft #3: Coffee Filter Peacocks from Glue to my Crafts Blog. My boys both enjoyed this craft, especially since it involves a squirt bottle. I let them have a little too much fun with the squirt bottle indoors, and will hope for better weather soon! Click the link for a tutorial.

Color Review - Penguin Winter Clothes Color Match from Totschooling. Aren't these the cutest little penguins? My boys took turns drawing a hat, identifying the color (I helped my 22 month old and him repeat the color after me) and matching it to the correct penguin.



Math - Glowing Play Dough Shapes. I couldn't pass "Letter P Activities" without making play dough. To put a different spin on our usual play dough, we made play dough that glows under a black light! We have been playing with it (with and without a black light) all week. For this activity, I bought a set of shape cutters and used a few other shape cutters I had from home to make this into a shape review activity. This counted as our science activity as well. Click the link for a tutorial.

Math - Piggy Bank Counting. I found this little pig at the Dollar Tree. My three drew a number and placed the same amount of pennies in the piggy bank. My 22 month old drew a number (only 1-3) and I helped him count the pennies as he placed them in the piggy bank. I love that this is a fine motor activity as well.


Sensory Play - Snowy Penguins Play. We always have the best time with sensory play. This snow only has two ingredients and so easy to put together. It molds into balls (penguin eggs) and snow castles with stacking blocks. It's even cool to the touch and so soft. Click the link for a tutorial. 


Letter Pp Activity #1 - Magnetic Pom Pom Fill. I printed and taped both pictures above (from This Reading Mama) onto our fridge and my boys filled the circles with magnetic pom poms. I made the pom poms by sticking magnets on them - next time I'll glue gun the magnets on, so they'll have a better hold.

Beginning Sounds: Beginning sounds has been one of my goals I've wanted my three to work on this year. He has really picked up on them, so we started a program for very early readers called "Reading the Alphabet" from This Reading Mama. We're slowly going through it and I've been so impressed by the program. Click the link to find out more.




Letter P Science - Glow Dough. As mentioned above, we made play dough this week that glows under a glow light! We have been playing with it (with and without a black light) all week - seriously we've been playing for hours. I brought out different play dough items on different days, like our Play Dough Crazy Cuts (kids can grow hair and cut it, show above), shape cookie cutters, and this Dentist Drill n Fill Set.


Alphabet as a Whole - Pirate Alphabet Hunt. We have been on a pirate kick lately and my boys LOVED this sensory bin and alphabet review. There was so much learning going on in one bin - scooping and pouring, letter recognition and matching, colors, pretend play, counting coins, etc. Click the link for a tutorial.



Name Review - My three can recognize his name easily at this point, so I made it easy this week. While we were playing with play dough this week, I wrote his name in play dough and had him repeat the letters and identify his name.


And that's it!

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story