How to make "Rocks"


We used these "rocks" as an object lesson in our Family Night re-telling the story: "Jesus gave Moses & the Israelites Water in the Desert". We acted out the story and my boy's thought the water coming out of the rocks was super cool. To make the rocks, you'll need:
  • water balloon
  • paper towels (OR strips of newspaper)
  • flour & water
1) Fill an 8x8 dish with flour and water. I filled our dish half full with flour and whisked in more and more water until it had a thick pancake batter consistency. 

2) I dipped paper towels in the flour/water mixture and wrapped them around our balloon. I wrapped our balloons with paper towels, because it was much less time consuming than cutting and placing so many pieces of newspaper. I used only four paper towel squares and it took me around five minutes to wrap the entire thing. However, our balloons took 3 days to dry, whereas I'm guessing newspaper would be much quicker and tougher. 



3) Spray a cookie sheet or piece of wax paper with cooking oil. Place the "rock" on the cookie sheet or wax paper to dry. I flipped our rocks a couple times, to make sure it was drying evenly. By day three, ours were ready to use. 


Here's a video from of our family lesson:

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story