Week 6: I Will Follow Jesus



Morning Meeting (Luke 5:4-11 & Matthew 4:18-22): Show the picture below and tell the story from Luke and Matthew. Emphasize how Jesus asked Simon, Andrew, James and John to follow Him and they forsook all and immediately left their ships and their father to follow Jesus. Relate this story to your children's lives. Jesus asks US to follow Him. How do we follow him? And do we do it quickly? Watch Fishers of Men from LDS.org.




Family Home Evening:

1) Review the story from this morning.

2a) Let's Go Fishing! Tonight was such a fun family lesson, and I loved hearing my boy's responses to how they'd follow Jesus when given different scenarios. You can print the fish and scenario cards in the "I Will Follow Jesus" PDF. My boys chose a color of fish. I read the corresponding scenario and they answered the question. Then, they used a magnetic fishing rod to "catch" the fish. On the back of the fish was a picture of the answer (or the way to follow Jesus). Don't forget to put a paper clip on the fish, so the magnetic rod sticks!



2b) I Will Follow Jesus Game. This is another way to use the cards and so much fun for little ones. Children are going to "go fishing" to catch some fish while also learning about ways to follow Jesus. You'll hide a fish under a "Follow Jesus Card" and the children take turns guessing where the fish is. The game and directions are found in the "I Will Follow Jesus PDF."



A few Other Activity Ideas:
  • Sing "Do as I'm Doing" and have the children take turns being the leader. The rest of the kids will follow the leader. You can use these Animal Action Cards as ideas to follow or have each kid think of their own idea. Talk about what it means to follow someone. Relate to Jesus.Let's Go Fishing! 
  • Play "Go Fish". We have this one and love to play it together. 
  • I Can Follow Jesus - Print this from the "I Will Follow Jesus PDF" and trace your children's shoes. Have them color it or draw ways to follow Jesus.

3) Treat. We did something different tonight, but I think this treat would be so much fun (photo from Cupcake Diaries) and very theme appropriate. Blue Jello, whipping cream and Swedish fish.


Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story