Theme: Fire Safety


Focus of the Week: Our theme series focuses on one letter, one shape and one color each week. I put together and printed this printable mostly for my two. I hung it in our craft room and would often point to the letter, shape and color for him to identify throughout the week.


October Themes: My boys (ages 2, 4) go to preschool twice a week, so I planned our activities for the off days - Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I printed a monthly chart as a way to keep organized and stay on track. Here's the first week at a glance:




MONDAY:

Letter (Letter "F" Ladder): To focus on our letter F this week, we printed a "page of F's" and my boys glued them together to form a ladder. We talked about ladders and their importance to firemen. This idea is from Babes, Tots, and Kids


Numbers (Dalmatian Spots): I printed this worksheet from Babes, Tots and Kids. I helped my two identify numbers and count aloud as he used a black marker to make dots on the dalmatians. I helped my four start beginning adding, and he would add the correct number of dots with a black marker. 


Science (Fire & Oxygen): This was a short and simple activity. I bought a candle with a lid from the Dollar Tree and I lit the candle on fire. We talked about how a candle needs oxygen to burn. What do you think will happen if we cover the candle with the lid? Cover the jar and watch what happens. Explain that the fire initially burns up the oxygen that is in the glass, but once the oxygen is burnt, the fire will extinguish because there is nothing left to burn. Talk about "Stop, Drop & Roll" and practice together.


Gross Motor (Shoot the Flames): This was another activity my boys both really enjoyed this week! Notice the "F" on the flames. So much hands-on learning was involved in this one activity. You can read all about it here.



WEDNESDAY:

Art (Shape Fire Truck): My boys dipped a sponge in red paint for the fire truck. Afterward, they glued on the remaining parts to the firetruck. We talked about colors and shapes as they glued on each piece. Then, they made lines for ladder rungs with a black marker. Option: Give this to the firemen as you visit them at the fire station this week. 


Shape (Shape Fire Truck): This activity is combined with the art activity above. Review the various shapes in a fire truck. Rectangle - Truck. Rectangle - Ladder. Square - Window. Wheels - Circle.

Fine Motor (Pre-Writing Worksheet): I also printed this from Babes, Tots and Kids. My two traced straight lines to connect the firefighter, and my four traced various lines to connect the firefighter.


Sensory (Magnatiles & Fire Bin): In this bin, I added shredded paper (found at the Dollar Tree) for the fire, magnetic letters (a review of the letters we've learned so far in our theme series), firetrucks and play people, and Magnatiles. My boys LOVE Magnatiles, so this was a fun twist in using them.




FRIDAY: 

Rhyme ("I'm a Little Firefighter"): We learned an action song this week, instead of a rhyme. Sing these words to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot": 

I'm a little firefighter, 
On the go.
(point to self)
Here is my helmet,
(point to head)
Here is my hose.
(pretend hold a hose)
When there is a fire,
Hear me shout:
"Turn on the water,
And put the fire out!"
(cup hands around mouth, as if shouting)

Sorting (Fire Fighter Sorting): This is another worksheet from Babes, Tots and Kids. Which tools do firefighters use? Circle the correct one.


Treat (Fire Truck): We made a similar fire truck to this one from Mrs. Plemon's Kindergarten. I pointed out all the shapes in our treat, including the circles for wheels.


Outing (Fire Station): This was our favorite part of our week! I dressed my boys up in our fireman costumes and we headed for the fire station. We gave the firemen our art projects we made earlier this week and thanked them for keeping everyone safe. The firemen were so kind and showed us around the firetruck and even let the boys sit in the driver seat. My boys were in heaven.

  


Fire Safety Booklist: And of course, we read often throughout the week. We mostly read before our quiet times each day, but we occasionally read during a meal or random time during the day. I placed these books on hold at our local library and we enjoyed reading them this week as we learned about fire safety:
  • At the Firehouse by Anne Rockwell
  • Big Frank's Firetruck by Leslie McGuire
  • Clifford the Firehouse Dog by Norman Bridwell
  • Curious George and the Firefighters by H.A. Rey
  • Firefighters A-Z by Christ L. Demarest
  • Firefighter Frank by Monica Wellington
  • Firefighter Ted by Andrea Beaty
  • Firehouse! by Mark Teague
  • Flashing Fire Engines by Tony Mitton
  • The Little Fire Engine by Lois Lenski

Note: I'd also like to focus on beginning sounds, hand writing, cutting and beginning reading for my three (he'll be four in a few weeks). I will incorporate more of these ideas in this series, but also love this beginning reading program

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story