Letter Q Activities (ages 3 & 23 months)

Here are our Letter Q Activities for a three year old and a 23 month old: 


Read, Read, Read. I love reading to my kids on a daily basis. I'll usually alternate reading during a meal time, before naps or randomly in the day. I checked out our Letter Q Booklist at the library a week in advance. The picture above were our very favorite books, but you view more great Letter Q books by clicking on the booklist link. 

Read Letter Q Book. We also love to read these Little Letter Books from The Measured Mom. For my three, we focus on the big and little letters at the beginning of each page. My 23 month old especially loves these books! He enjoys looking at the pictures and repeating the words after me on each page. 

Letter Q Songs & Rhymes. This year, I'm putting together an interactive set of songs & rhymes for each letter of the alphabet. Click the link to view our Letter Q Songs & Rhymes. If you're looking for something more simple, take a look at this printable set of songs and rhymes from The Measured Mom.


Writing Practice. Every child is different, but my three loves writing letters! We practiced writing the Letter Q's with "Letters of All Sizes" from The Measured Mom. I printed and slipped ours into a sleeve protector, so my three could erase and write these over again if he wanted. My 23 month old used a marker to scribble over letter Q's I drew on a piece of paper. "Can you color this Q?" 


Craft #1: Tissue Paper Little Quack. My boys have both LOVED "Little Quack" from our Letter Q Booklist. I altered some of the activities this week, including this craft, because they have asked me to read this book every day. I drew a duck on a piece of paper (you can print yours here) and my three was in charge of the glue and tissue paper. He glued on googly eyes and a nose I cut out from an orange foam sheet. My 23 month old glue on a few tissue pieces here and there before he was done. Note: I found six different colors of pre-cut tissue paper at the Dollar Tree, including these yellow squares.

Craft #2: Q is for Quill Writing. After learning the song "Q is for Quill" from our Letter Q Songs & Rhymes, we did a simple quill writing activity. I demonstrated this activity first by dipping the tip of the "pen" (feather - came in a pack from The Dollar Tree) in "ink" (watered down washable paint) and writing a Letter Q on a piece of paper. My three wrote a few letters before this turned into more of a feather painting craft for both boys. ;) 



Craft #3: Q is for Quilt from Free Coloring Pages for Kids. My three loved using glue all by himself and placing fruit loops to make our quilt. He finished a little over half the quilt before asking me to help him finish it. Afterward, he asked to give this to his grandma who loves to quilt. My 23 month old placed a fruit loops few here and there before he was done. He identified the Letter Q and we moved on with our day. I may leave this out for the day to see if he wants to add more.

Color Review - Q is for Quilt. While working on the fruit loop quilt above, we reviewed the colors of the fruit loops and counted that as our color review activity this week.



Math - Little Quack Shapes from Homeschool Creations. Because my boys loved "Little Quack" so much we did this shape review activity. I printed two sets from the link provided. I left one set as is and cut the other set out. My boys would draw a shape, identify the shape and match it. My 23 month old LOVED this activity and requested to do it three times. I love that he was able to identify 5-6 of the shapes on his own. This was simple for my three, but a good review.


Math - Little Quack Number Review from Homeschool Creations & Q-Tip Counting. I added in this "Little Quack" number game, because my boys loved the book so much this week. I taped the top of the numbers onto a cookie sheet and hid little quack under a number. My three would guess a number and my 23 month old would point, while I identified the number. The loved trying to find Little Quack. We did this activity during lunch a few times. Using the same numbers, my boys drew a number and placed the same amount of q-tips through a cheese grater - come to find out our strainer holes were barely too small. My three did this on his own and I helped identify the number and count for my 23 month old.


Sensory Play - Frozen Ice & Shaving Cream Play. My boys loved playing with ice and shaving cream! This is an activity that is easy to put together and creates over an hour of play time. Click the link for a tutorial and more pictures.


Letter Qq Activity #1 - Q-tip Painting from Totschooling. Dip a q-tip in paint and dot the quilt and Letter Qq. So simple and fun.  

Beginning Sounds: Beginning sounds has been one of my goals I've wanted my three to work on this year. He has really picked up on them, so we started a program for very early readers called "Reading the Alphabet" from This Reading Mama. I'm embarrassed to admit we've taken a long break and need to get back on. Click the link to find out more.


Letter Q Science - Queen Elsa's Ice Castle. My boys love the movie "Frozen" and so we did a few Queen Elsa activities this week. My boys loved this activity and we spent a good amount of time exploring with colors, bubbles, and melting castles! You can find a tutorial and read all about it by clicking the link above.



Alphabet as a Whole - Icy Alphabet Hunt. I've always wanted to freeze letters, and I finally had a chance to do it! We've been focusing on "Queen Elsa" this week for Letter Q, which is a great excuse to do frozen activities. My boys really loved finding the letters and finding ways to get the letters out from the ice. Click the link for a tutorial and more pictures.



Name Review - Q-tip Name Erase. We have an Ikea children's table that we use often for our activities, and the surface is similar to a whiteboard. I wrote my three's name with a dry erase marker and he erased it with a q-tip. I wrote various letters on the table for my 23 month old to erase. I was shocked how much they loved this and kept asking me to draw more and more letters for them to erase.


And that's it!

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story