Frozen Shaving Cream Sensory Play


We are working on Letter Q Activities this week and love anything related to "Queen Elsa" from the movie, Frozen. We've already done an Icy Alphabet Hunt and Queen Elsa's Castle - Frozen & Bubbly, which my boys (ages 3 & 23 months) really enjoyed. I love having new and fun things to do with them at home. This activity was very child directed. My boys helped me squirt the shaving cream into the bin and push the ice out from the ice molds. We played for a good hour before it was time to go inside and tub for the night. This idea is from Learn Play Imagine, where you can view more amazing photos.

Supplies:
  • Ice Molds (this set comes with large square and large circle molds, but you can also use a regular ice cube tray)
  • Liquid Water Colors - we used blue and purple
  • Glitter
  • Shaving Cream
  • Large Plastic Container

Directions:

1) Prepare the ice cube trays. Squirt a drop or two of liquid water color into each compartment of your ice mold. Fill the rest with water. Shake glitter onto the top of each compartment. Place in freezer. Note: I placed all the trays on a cookie sheet, so it would be easier to transfer to the freezer.


2) When you're ready to play, fill a large bin with shaving cream. I used two containers of shaving cream from The Dollar Tree. Place the ice cubes in the shaving cream. My boys loved watching the ice pop out from the molds. This was a very child directed activity. I let them do as they please and sat back to enjoy their imaginations. 



My three loved throwing the ice on the ground and watching it break into pieces. Toward the end, he sat in the shaving cream and thought it was so funny he had shaving cream on his toosh. My 23 month old loved grabbing a piece of ice and washing the shaving cream off with a hose. 


Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story