Letter H: Letter of the Week (age 3)

Here's what our week looked like for Letter H: 

Read, Read, Read. I love reading to my kids on a daily basis. I checked out our Letter H Booklist at the library a week in advance. The picture above were our very favorite books, but you view more great Letter H books by clicking on the booklist link. Two of our favorites were in our church bag! Don't forget to include: Hungry Hen and The Hungry Thing.


Read Letter H Book. We also love to read these Little Letter Books from The Measured Mom. There are only eight or so pictures in each booklet. I pointed out the uppercase and lowercase H's (since we are focusing on both this year) and we talked about the pictures. 

Letter H Songs & Rhymes. This year, I'm putting together an interactive set of songs & rhymes for each letter of the alphabet. I know this series is focused on my almost three, but my one year old had so much fun doing the Letter H Songs & Rhymes with us this week. If you're looking for something more simple without props, take a look at this printable set of songs and rhymes from The Measured Mom.


Writing Practice. Every child is different, but my three loves writing letters! We practiced writing the Letter H's with "H's of All Sizes" from The Measured Mom. I decided to laminate them, so we can use them over and over again. Because my three loves writing so much, we practiced more with our ABC Write & Wipe (picture above).


Craft #1: Humpty Dumpty Cut & Paste from Tot Schooling. My three has always loved the story of Humpty Dumpty, so I knew he'd love this craft. I let him use the glue all by himself today, and he loved it. 

Craft #2: Coffee Filter Heart. This craft was very simple. I cut a coffee filter into a heart shape and my three colored it with washable markers. After he was done coloring, he helped spray the entire heart with water, making the colors bleed. I set the heart on paper towels to dry and hung it on our window for light to shine through. You can view a similar tutorial with pictures here



Craft #3: Brush Painting Horse Craft. I printed a horse template and my three used a scrub brush to paint the horse. Once dried, I cut out the horse and mounted it onto red paper.


Color Review - Hippo Size Order & Color Review from Confessions of a Homeschooler. I printed these last year and pulled them out today for my three to put in order from biggest to smallest and identify their color. I've tried to print more things from this website, and realized they are no longer free to print. :(


Math - Shape Puzzle Hunt. I hid the puzzle pieces to our shapes puzzle (picture above) around the room. My three found a puzzle piece and placed it in our puzzle, while identifying the shape.

Math - Heart Number Match. I placed the set of red hearts (hearts with numbers) on the table. My three loves finding things around the room, so I hid the set of pink hearts (hearts with dots) around the room. He counted the dots and matched them to the correct numbers.


Sensory Play - Shaving Cream Houses. Before this activity, we matched animals to their homes from Kidzclub. Then, we decided to make our own house with foam blocks. My plan was to play with  shaving cream blocks, but my three wasn't up for adding shaving cream. We just played with the blocks, talking about colors and shapes as we went.


Letter Hh Activity #1 - My three placed blue power magnets on the big H and yellow magnets on the little h. You can print the hippo printable from This Reading Mama.




Letter Hh Activity #2 - Heart Stamping. I bought these heart stamps last year and pulled them out for this activity. My three stamped the big H with a blue heart and the little h with a pink heart. 





Beginning Sounds: Beginning Sounds Clip Cards from The Measured Mom. My three is doing really well with beginning sounds, so we tried these alphabet clip cards. My three pointed to the picture, instead of clipping a clothes pin.


Letter H Science - Humpty Dumpty's Tower. I drew faces on 10 raw eggs with permanent marker to use for this incredibly fun science activity. My three built a short tower and put an egg on top as we sang "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall." On fall, my three would push the egg off the wall and we'd watch it splat onto our cookie sheet. My three would laugh and laugh. We built towers of all sizes and watched what would happen to the egg as it dropped from various heights. This idea is from Preschool Alphabet.
Alphabet as a Whole - Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set. Our neighbors were getting rid of a few toys and luckily this gem was included. My three (and one) really enjoys playing with this. He inserts a letter into the bus and presses the music button which sings the sound that the letter makes. "The D says /D/, the D says /D/, every letter makes a sound the D says /D/." This correlates with our favorite educational show, The Letter Factory. 

Name Review - Well, we didn't end up doing this, but I had planned to play with our magnetic letter set on the fridge and spelling out my three's name.


And that's it!

Popular posts from this blog

Ocean Foil Painting

Family Home Evening Index

Family Home Evening: Baptism

Obedience (1): The Chocolate Chip Ghost Story